Block House Beer Bread
12 oz Block House Pumpkin Ale
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, melted and divided
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 Tbsp molasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Pour the pumpkin beer into a sauce pan and whisk vigorously for 1-2 minutes to flatten the beer.
- Heat over medium until boiling, whisking occasionally to help keep the foaming down.
- Reduce by half, to 3/4 cup (about 15 minutes) and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the beer, 2 Tbsp melted butter, canned pumpkin, molasses, and ground spices.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing with a spoon until no dry ingredients are left (if your canned pumpkin is very thick, you might need to add 2-4 Tbsp milk to help get things mixed together).
- Pour half of the remaining melted butter into the baking dish.
- Spoon the batter into the baking dish and drizzle the remaining melted butter over top.
- Bake 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Yields: 1 loaf, ~12 slices
Adapted from The Pastry Queen
Estimated time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Drunken Pumpkin Chili
1 pound 93% lean ground beef (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup pumpkin ale
15-ounce container pure pumpkin puree
15-ounce container diced tomatoes
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed and minced
15-ounce container black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
15-ounce container cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the ground beef to a dutch oven or large stock pot and adjust heat to medium-high.
- Break up the meat using a wooden spoon, and immediately add the minced garlic, diced onion, diced carrots, and diced bell pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, or until the meat is nicely browned and the veggies are softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bay leaf, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, and tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- Add the Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the pumpkin ale to cook and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin purée and diced tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Add the minced chipotle peppers, and stir to combine.
- Partially cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and allow the chili to cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add the black beans, stir, and allow the chili to cook another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Adapted from The Scrumptious Pumpkin